We live in a fantastically diverse and complex world about which we are still learning new things all the time.
One thing we do know for sure, however, is that we only have one planet, and our planet is made up of finite resources.
Suppose we use all of these resources with no regard for the earth; future generations will not only struggle to thrive but to simply survive.
This is the main reason why eco-friendly products are important to our society.
But, unfortunately, most companies in today’s market don’t utilize sustainable practices in their sourcing, production, packaging, or transportation.
The damages this is doing to our world are truly devastating.
To turn things around, we all need to be more conscious about the purchases we are making and how those purchases affect the world around us.
Unfortunately, eco-friendly products only make up a very small percentage of the products offered in-store.
Although, according to a 2019 study conducted in the UK, 82% of consumers consider environmentally friendly package labeling when making their purchasing decisions.
This would indicate that the majority of the public is ready to start making more responsible and sustainable shopping choices as they become available.
What Are Eco-Friendly Products?
By their definition, eco-friendly products are “designed or intended to have little to no damaging effect on the environment.” That said, there are many products that use the eco-friendly label while only performing the minimum amount of effort required to meet minimum percentage-based label requirements.
The percentage of eco-friendly material and practices needed for a product to use the label varies, as it is decided on a case-by-case basis.
Genuinely eco-friendly products use the following labels-
- The Green Seal is used to identify cleaning compounds that are certified eco-friendly.
- The Forest Stewardship Council Logo is used to clearly identify paper and wood products that are sourced and produced in an eco-friendly manner.
- The USDA Organic Seal is used in both the food and cosmetic industries to identify organically managed and processed products.
Common sense also plays a part in identifying eco-friendly products that are available at stores near you.
For example, if a package claims that a product is eco-friendly, but the container itself is clearly non-recyclable or unreclaimable for future use, use your discretion.
Why Eco-Friendly Products Are Important
Eco-friendly products are essential for many reasons.
They are a huge step in the direction that we need to take in order to make sustainable lifestyle choices.
Some examples of how eco-friendly products can have a vital impact include but are not limited to-
- Eco-friendly products allow us to reduce our carbon and environmental footprints.
- Eco-friendly products help reduce plastic waste, which we have no other plan to eliminate.
- Eco-friendly products do not overuse or abuse resources for sourcing or production, which leaves more resources for future generations.
- Eco-friendly products are biodegradable or even compostable in your own home, which keeps these materials out of landfills and waterways.
- Eco-friendly products provide non-toxic alternatives to products we use, which are healthier for the planet and our bodies.
- Eco-friendly products are typically more durable than their less environmentally friendly counterparts, meaning they will last longer and save customers money.
- Eco-friendly products can often be reused or upcycled into something else useful, which cuts down on materials going to landfills and saves consumers money.
The Benefits Of Eco-Friendly Products
The personal benefits you stand to reap from using eco-friendly products are an incentivization in and of themselves.
But if keeping your body and home toxin-free and sustainable isn’t enough to convince you to switch to eco-friendly and sustainable products, think about the planet you live on.
Below are some examples of how eco-friendly products can have a positive impact on our world.
How Do Eco-Friendly Products Help You At Home?
Using environmentally friendly products at home can dramatically improve your family’s health as well as the general mood in your home.
When you start making sustainable and eco-friendly choices in your personal life, you’re sure to see a dynamic change at home.
- You can reduce indoor environmental pollutants by avoiding bringing toxin-laden products into your home.
- You will reduce energy costs if you use eco-friendly water and energy-saving alternatives to traditional appliances. Which will bring down your monthly bills in addition to feeling great.
- You and your family will enjoy healthier lives thanks to the lack of harmful substances in your home and day-to-day lives.
- You will save a lot of money using eco-friendly supplies and materials which are more durable and last longer.
How Do Eco-Friendly Products Help The Environment?
Eco-friendly products aren’t made simply to make your life simpler and more manageable, however.
Rather, there are two critical goals with these sustainable products that are non harmful to the environment.
The first is to give the planet a chance to recover from the damages already done.
The second goal is to find new ways to live that will allow future generations to thrive as well.
The eco-friendly products available as of today are helping the environment in the following ways-
- Eco-friendly products dramatically cut down on harmful carbon dioxide emissions.
- Eco-friendly products do not contribute significantly to climate change.
- Eco-friendly products do not over-use or abuse resources found in nature for production.
- Eco-friendly products do not have toxic by-products or waste that makes their way to agricultural soil or waterways.
In a world where nearly 7 million people die annually from air pollution, and another 5000 perish each day as a result of drinking tainted water, these seemingly small things matter a great deal.
We can’t go back in time to change our past behaviors. Still, we can each do our part to educate ourselves and others about eco-friendly products and practices.
If you think you’re ready to make the switch to eco-friendly living, we support you and all that you do! Your choices as a consumer will have a positive impact on our planet and our society for many, many years to come.